Free installation service
Nothing to install on your PCs
You benefit from placing your Local Information System on the internet in several ways:
- No software to install on PCs - to get to the system you just need a device with a browser and an internet connection
- Advisers and people updating the database can work with the system anywhere there is an internet
connection; for example:
- At a bureau
- At an outreach site
- At home
- Multiple offices, external partnerships and even the public share access to a common system that always contains the latest information
Your only cost is the hosting company charge; typically £0 to £5 per month
Unfortunately, we can't provide detailed instructions for installing the system on the web because each hosting company has a different way of doing things. So, although the set-up process isn't difficult, it does require some IT expertise.
To address that issue, we offer to set up your Local Information System on the internet for free. Margaret and I regard ourselves as CAB volunteers without a bureau. If you are concerned about us, we're happy to provide references from several bureaux we've already helped. We have nothing to gain from helping you - you can rely on us for impartial advice.
You'll have to:
- Decide which hosting company to use - we can help you explore whether your existing arrangement is technically compatible and good value. If not we can advise on the costs of upgrading, switching providers, or setting up a new site from scratch.
- Decide on an address for the LIS. Most bureaux either:
- Create a subsite to their existing site, something like: www.xxxcab.org.uk/cablis; or
- Set up a new site, something like: www.xxxcablis.org.uk
- If you need a new arrangement sign up for the new service. We can help you with step-by-step instructions, but it's best if you create the arrangement so that you have clear ownership of the site and we won't need to reclaim expenses from you. Typically the sign up process takes 10-15 minutes using simple web forms.
- Provide us with the id and password to your site's control panel so we can install the system (they'll get sent to you as part of the set up process). We'll let you know all the ids and passwords we create and you can withdraw our access when we've finished.
- If you already use the desktop version of the LIS provide us with a copy of your database so we can load your data into the new system.
We do the rest!
If we're able to use an existing hosting arrangement, there is no cost to you. Otherwise you will incur a monthly charge from your chosen hosting company. Worst case - creating a new site from scratch - will cost you around £5 per month.